First, you need to get the mod itself. Go to the webpage with the mod on it, and find the link which leads to the download. Make sure you get a version of the mod compatible with your current version of Minecraft. If you can't find this, the mod is probably discontinued: you cannot use this mod anymore. Now, download the mod. Most mod downloads will link to either adf.ly, mediafire, or Adcraft. After downloading follow the steps below.
You need to install the mod. This will be listed in a 3 step process.
- If you haven't already, locate your .minecraft file. For Windows 7, this is found in C:Users(your username)AppDataRoaming.minecraft: for Linux, this is found in your document folder. For all macs, go to library, application support, minecraft. Go to the bin folder in .minecraft, and open minecraft.jar with WinRAR, 7zip (Zipeg for Mac users) or some other program akin to that.
- Some mods need other mods or programs in order to work, such as ModLoader. This is why I like to keep the mod page open, because the installation instructions are listed. Download these mods, and open them in your zip program. IMPORTANT: It is the base of all mod installation. Select ALL the files in the mod zip folder, and drag/copy them into your minecraft.zip folder.
- Now, open up the zip folder of the mod you wanted to install. If you see files, then paste the files into minecraft.jar. Lastly delete the META-INF folder in minecraft.jar and your done. Otherwise, you'll need to install this mod in a different way. Always read the readme contained inside the zip file if you have any questions on how to install it, or read the installation text on the mod page
Im going to show how to apply those steps in a example below, then how to install MCPatcher in an another example below. Many people prefer MCPatcher so you might want to check it out.
- Open your minecraft.jar with a zip file opening program(such as WinZip) The directory to the file is shown in Window 1, and the open minecraft.jar file is in Window 3.
- Open the Optifine.zip (Window 4) and drag the contents into the minecraft.jar(Window 3)
- Delete the META-INF data and launch your minecraft/client.
- Download MCPatcher from this link, http://mcpatcher.net...ownload&lang=en, It's the official site don't worry.
- Execute the program. It might ask you if you really want to run it or cancel, if so then click run.
- Click the Mods tab as shown by arrow 1. It will open the Window that arrow 2 is pointing at.
- Now click the directory selector that arrow 3 is pointing at and find where you saved your mod to. Select the mod and click open.
- And for the last step click Patch.
- Make a backup of the .bin folder, or any folder involved in the installation. Oftentimes, you have this awesome mod setup already or a perfect jar, then a big, shiny mod catches your eye, and it all messed up. Backups, especially ones with txts with what mods are installed really help mediate that.
- For mods that require you to just drag it to the jar, I recommend Mcpatcher. It will be easier to manage multiple mods, and easily reset it if you mess it up.
- The most common mod setup most TeamExtereme peeps use is the Optifine+ReiMinimap combo. Most aesthetic mods are usually okay for the server, like 3DItems or CustomGUI.
Your Mods Are Installed Now! Enjoy Them!
Please note and I can not stress this enough. Any mods that hack/cheat the server, such as hacked clients, are completely forbidden and are punishable by ban.