• Please log in to reply

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
Client mods
First, you need to get the mod itself. Go to the webpage with the mod on it, and find the link which leads to the download. Make sure you get a version of the mod compatible with your current version of Minecraft. If you can't find this, the mod is probably discontinued: you cannot use this mod anymore. Now, download the mod. Most mod downloads will link to either adf.ly, mediafire, or Adcraft. After downloading follow the steps below.

You need to install the mod. This will be listed in a 3 step process.
  • If you haven't already, locate your .minecraft file. For Windows 7, this is found in C:Users(your username)AppDataRoaming.minecraft: for Linux, this is found in your document folder. For all macs, go to library, application support, minecraft. Go to the bin folder in .minecraft, and open minecraft.jar with WinRAR, 7zip (Zipeg for Mac users) or some other program akin to that.
  • Some mods need other mods or programs in order to work, such as ModLoader. This is why I like to keep the mod page open, because the installation instructions are listed. Download these mods, and open them in your zip program. IMPORTANT: It is the base of all mod installation. Select ALL the files in the mod zip folder, and drag/copy them into your minecraft.zip folder.
  • Now, open up the zip folder of the mod you wanted to install. If you see files, then paste the files into minecraft.jar. Lastly delete the META-INF folder in minecraft.jar and your done. Otherwise, you'll need to install this mod in a different way. Always read the readme contained inside the zip file if you have any questions on how to install it, or read the installation text on the mod page

Im going to show how to apply those steps in a example below, then how to install MCPatcher in an another example below. Many people prefer MCPatcher so you might want to check it out.

Example(Regular Way)
  • Open your minecraft.jar with a zip file opening program(such as WinZip) The directory to the file is shown in Window 1, and the open minecraft.jar file is in Window 3.
  • Open the Optifine.zip (Window 4) and drag the contents into the minecraft.jar(Window 3)
  • Delete the META-INF data and launch your minecraft/client.

Posted Image

Example(MCPatcher)
  • Download MCPatcher from this link, http://mcpatcher.net...ownload&lang=en, It's the official site don't worry.
  • Execute the program. It might ask you if you really want to run it or cancel, if so then click run.
  • Click the Mods tab as shown by arrow 1. It will open the Window that arrow 2 is pointing at.
  • Now click the directory selector that arrow 3 is pointing at and find where you saved your mod to. Select the mod and click open.
  • And for the last step click Patch.

Posted Image

Tips
  • Make a backup of the .bin folder, or any folder involved in the installation. Oftentimes, you have this awesome mod setup already or a perfect jar, then a big, shiny mod catches your eye, and it all messed up. Backups, especially ones with txts with what mods are installed really help mediate that.
  • For mods that require you to just drag it to the jar, I recommend Mcpatcher. It will be easier to manage multiple mods, and easily reset it if you mess it up.
  • The most common mod setup most TeamExtereme peeps use is the Optifine+ReiMinimap combo. Most aesthetic mods are usually okay for the server, like 3DItems or CustomGUI.
Finally, it's time to test your mod out! Run Minecraft. If you did everything right, then great! If you get the Minecraft crash screen, you probably didn't install the mod correctly, or, if you have more than one mod installed, you have incompatible mods. Refresh Minecraft, and install the mods again: if this problem still persists, look on the mod page for a list of incompatible mods, and instructions on how to fix them. Refresh Minecraft again and try installing the mods in a different order until you get it right. If you get a black screen, make sure you deleted the META-INF folder.

Your Mods Are Installed Now! Enjoy Them!

Please note and I can not stress this enough. Any mods that hack/cheat the server, such as hacked clients, are completely forbidden and are punishable by ban.

"And Then Notch Said "Let There Be Blocks..."

catman

catman

Das Kitteh

• Server Donator
  • 581 posts
ummmm MCPatcher makes everything so easy
  • FranticInsanity likes this

DnMgtDf.png

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
I'll edit into this a little tutorial for that also.

DarkJiku_

DarkJiku_

Shop Owner

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUp your arsehole
Good tutorial, but may I add some?
>Make a backup of the .bin folder, or any folder involved in the installation. Oftentimes, you have this awesome mod setup already or a perfect jar, then a big, shiny mod catches your eye, and it all goes to shit. Backups, especially ones with txts with what mods are installed really help mediate that.
>For mods that require you to just drag it to the jar, I recommend Mcpatcher. It will be easier to manage multiple mods, and easily reset it when you balls it up.
>The most common mod setup most TeamExtereme peeps use is the Optifine+ReiMinimap combo. Most aesthetic mods are usually okay for the server, like 3DItems or CustomGUI.

NYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHH

MrSlendy

MrSlendy

Wealthy Merchant

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • LocationWoodlands

• If you haven't already, locate your .minecraft file. For Windows 7, this is found in C:Users(your username)AppDataRoaming.minecraft: for Linux, this is found in your document folder. For all macs, go to library, application support, minecraft. Go to the bin folder in .minecraft, and open minecraft.jar with WinRAR, 7zip or some other program akin to that.

For easy access of the Minecraft folder
Do the following :

Press windows+R = it will open the Run

then type %appdata%

then the .minecraft is the first one on the list

fUvxNgj.png
Siggy created by :  Koenraad72

raidmax21

raidmax21

The Don

• Administrators
  • 3,203 posts
  • LocationAustralia MAAAAATE.

For easy access of the Minecraft folder
Do the following :

Press windows+R = it will open the Run

then type %appdata%

then the .minecraft is the first one on the list

For windows 7 you don't need to use windows+R, just press windows and type %appdata% and push enter :P
  • MrSlendy, sonic369 and SergeTrotter like this

S3Ww3Hr.png

MrSlendy

MrSlendy

Wealthy Merchant

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • LocationWoodlands

For windows 7 you don't need to use windows+R, just press windows and type %appdata% and push enter :P

Yeah thanks for that raid xD i thought everyone uses windows 7 now or some iOS thing

fUvxNgj.png
Siggy created by :  Koenraad72

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
I edited in a few things from comments, the post isnt done, i cant do much at school though, so later for sure everyone.

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
Ok tutorial For MCPatcher has been added:) and screen shots for you raid.

EliteSerial

EliteSerial

Dirt Digger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
Zipeg is a great free program for Mac it can be used to unzip the minecraft.jar file. For me WinZip had problems getting one of the files to unzip all the way. As a Mac user I thought I would add this. :)

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
Edited and added, thank you EliteSerial.

Olhcim

Olhcim

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 544 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa
For Mac I like using betterzip, it does have a cost though but I use it for many other things aswell
Posted Image
Made by Mango
i have two great sigs, but i can only display one at a time... :( sorry

Olhcim

Olhcim

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 544 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa
Oh and if you are a premium MC user download The minecraft Magic launcher

The magic launcher does not edit the minecraft.jar and loads the files dynamically
But what is really nice is that you can create and duplicate and edit profiles which contain different mod setups...
Select the mod files from within the launcher

The only thing that you have to do manually is if the mod file requires that it is placed in your mods folder, you have to manually do it like you normally would (but you can still enable/disable the mod in the magic launcher profile setup)

Magic launcher also checks for incompatable mods but I have found that with the magic launch some mods that are normally incompatable still work :D

You can also allocate more ram/memory to minecraft
Posted Image
Made by Mango
i have two great sigs, but i can only display one at a time... :( sorry

EliteSerial

EliteSerial

Dirt Digger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
If it's allowed, I can write a full tutorial for installing Minecraft Mods on Mac OS X, and post it on the forums or something.

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
You are allowed. There is a whole entire forum section just for Tutorials. You can post it there.

EliteSerial

EliteSerial

Dirt Digger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
Okay then. I've begun working on it, trying to get some screenshots and stuff before I finish putting the rest of it together.

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
Awesome can't wait to read it:D even though i don't have a mac lol.

Capt_Fantizzle

Capt_Fantizzle

Shop Owner

• Server Donator
  • 151 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Brisbane city MAAATTTEEEE!
If, say you install the Map mod and it doesnt look right or you dont like it, updating at the first screen gets rid of it. At least for me that is

sdsdaf_zpseb10bffc.jpg

Made by some guy who sucks at photoshop

Spoiler

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
Yes force updating your client will delete any mods you have so you can start from scratch if you mess up.

Matapaluza

Matapaluza

Smooth Criminal

• Server Donator
  • 855 posts
  • LocationTexas
I never noticed this turned out to be one of the most viewed tutorials here lol:3 makes me proud, i put some time into it:3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users