Floor Is Lava is probably the most played Minigame on TE. You can say it's "easy to learn but hard to master" and that's why i thought i would share some info with people of all levels! Go see SniperKings Post for some tips as well!
This tutorial will be separated into different sections in order of complexity. If you are a beginner it is advised that you read this in order.
So lets begin!
- These tips are just to make you play better, but please don't forget its still a game! Please remember that losing is not a good reason to be toxic. Respect other players, pro or not, and don't take it too seriously
What is Floor is Lava anyway?
Floor is Lava(fil) is a fun Minigame where your objective is to not fall in lava! Doing so will get you eliminated and last man standing is the winner!
How do i join?
Easy! Just use /portal and select the TNT. From there you can use the simple /fil command or hit the Wither Mob to open the menu!
WTF is this menu?? I'm confused
This menu will be the thing you see the most in this game(*cough* other than the campers ).You will be able to pick your power-ups, join and leave the game using this menu!
What the fudge are these supposed to do ?
These are your power-ups, each of them has a unique ability that you can use in all sorts of ways! I will explain these in detail as we go on further.
Syrsly?? 5 power-ups don't even begin to support my unlimited needs!!
Calm down and breath.. there are treasure chests you can use to get more power-ups in-game, but you need to be both fast and a bit lucky. Just right click on the chests with an empty hand.
I just saw someone "bidding"!! Me Wants To Bid Too!!
Bidding is fun and adds to the competition! Simply do it using the "/floor wager [amount]" command to do it!
Umm.. ok.. I've been playing for a while now and i want to know how many times I've won!! it's really important you know
Simply go to the menu and hover over the nether star .. it says it all!
I keep lagging!! Is my ping good for playing?!
I usually play with a ping of 250-300 and its not too bad, but anything above that can be a pain. Try resetting your router, canceling downloads or asking your ISP for a higher speed. FPS lag can also be reduced in many ways(see arabi's post here for some tips).
Sometimes people hover in the air and don't fall! Is it hax?
Probably not,however if it persists for some time, they might be up to something.
I know how to play, but I'm not good at this at all! Help me!!
Okay this is probably the first thing any Intermediate player asks.. so i'll try my best to explain it.
Floor is Lava is a game that depends on skills that need to be gathered in order to advance. These are the most important things that allows you to make huge leaps of advancements in this game:
- Speed and Reaction time: This is an important factor in this game. You need to be able to react to everything around you and fast, as this is the main way you can avoid danger. There are many ways to improve your speed and efficiency, but it generally has to do with your focus. People who are good at Parkour, PVP, Player hosted contests, or any irl task that requires speed will have a huge head-start compared to other players, so you can try doing any of those things to improve yourself! Listening to Music helps a lot of people with focus as well.
- Parkour Skills: This game has many elements of Parkour; if you want to survive sticky situations, you need to have this skill. I've played parkour long before even starting FIL and i can confirm it helps a lot.
I know how to play, but I don't know how to use the power-ups properly!
This is an important part of this tutorial. The power ups are really powerful and can drastically change the game for you when used properly. Here's a list of all power-ups and how to use/counter them:
What power-up combos are best?
This is completely up to you. There are many combinations but these are the most generic and well known ones. Note that you might get more variation if you open chests inside the map as well, but that is not considered here.
- Feather and Webber(recommended): Feather for escape and reaching targets, Webber to pin important targets down. Use 1-2 Webbers and the rest should be feathers.
- Feather and Launcher(cowardly combo): Feather for escape and feather to push targets to their death, this is what campers use generally so better learn how to counter this combo(read above). Use 1-3 Launchers and the rest Feathers.
- Feather, Webber and Blaze Rod(assassination combo): Use this when you want to get rid of a specific target fast and unexpectedly! Use the blaze rod as soon as the enemy is not paying attention and pin them down with the Webber from behind. Use 2 Webbers, 1 Blaze rod and 2 Feathers.
- Feather and TNT(anti camper combo): Use the TNT to get rid of camping spots early on, use this when there are high valued targets to take care of early game. If you can remove camping spots manually you should not be lazy and buy the TNT. 1-3 TNT and the rest Feathers should do.
I can handle myself quite well, but i always lose to a player in 1v1's.
Once you master 1v1's you will be unbeatable! There are many tactics that i personally use or have learnt from other players that can help you:
- Increasing Sight: It took me a really long time to realize this and i wish i'd known it sooner; Third Person View! It protects you from attacks from behind, allows you to walk backwards and, when combined with higher FOV, gives you a wide circle of view. However it backfires on you when someone uses the Webber on you, as 3rdP view does not get along with the webs. This can be fixed by setting a Macro to switch between 3rdP and 1stP view. Note that in some 1v1 fights 1stP is necessary because of the increased focus that comes with having less to process, so switch back when you feel like you need it (i'll add the script here if people actually want me to).
- Evasive maneuvers: There are many ways to evade attacks against you. The most important one is to be as unpredictable as can be! Move left and right to confuse the enemy when needed, try to predict where the enemy wants you to be and avoid being there. This can be learned much better with experience so try to use it from now on. Also if you use 3stP view, you can walk backwards while countering the enemies attacks.
- Predict the enemy: It's really important to be smart with your actions, especially against professional players. Randomly removing blocks helps at times, but doing it efficiently could save time and blocks for the map. Try prediction the enemies next location and removing the blocks there, or TNT it.
- Attack from above!: When you're on a platform higher than an enemy late-game, a really good strategy is to leap on the enemy and attack them really fast! Using a Blaze rod will make you a real assassin! Sometimes its good to wait until the enemy shifts focus from you and then attacking.
- Camper hunting: Everyone knows campers can be a pain in the ass! That's why you should dedicate early-game to eliminating the important ones; First of all you need to remove camping spots. Try to remove the middle part of the map as its that last place that remains late-game. Now you may start attacking the campers but remember that you don't have to play fair, use power-ups as needed. One good strategy is to get them so ground level and then using the Webber on them.
- Encircle the target: Staying still is the dumbest thing to do in fights, try to move as you are attacking, run in circles around the enemy to confuse them while removing blocks below them as well. Using 3rdP with this technique can be much more efficient as you can be more aware of your surroundings.
- Strategic teaming: If the targets won't play fair then why should you? Sometimes teaming can be useful to counter teaming enemies.
- TNT through blocks: A useful bug in the game is that you can use the TNT through one block, just use it below a block and you'll see it will appear on top of it. This can be useful when you cant reach the blocks above you and throwing the TNT is too risky.
- Webs for delay: Webs can be very helpful late-game. They can be used to delay the falling duration when all the blocks have been removed from the game. You can use it on the enemy and then jump in to attack.
How can i improve performance when there are a lot of players(for a large wager for example)?
These kind of situations will take the most energy from you, especially is a group of enemies are teaming against you. Vision and speed are key here, i recommend using 3rdP for these situations.
If there is a wager and there are no teams in the game, a good strategy is to remove blocks at key locations as soon as the game starts. Find the locations where people are most likely to fall in, and remove the blocks. You can also try just randomly removing blocks in the map so people accidentally fall in, but this is risky as you can fall in too, so don't do it unless you are really focused.
A player is way too evasive, what should i do with them?
Some players are really good at escaping every situation, even webs(partly because they have less ping than you). For these situations it's best to just leave them for the time and focus on other targets, you will cross paths eventually when the map becomes smaller, so that's when you strike. Force them to initiate 1v1 combat with you by using a webber to pin them down and get rid of them mid/late game.
A certain somebody is camping until the end and is launching me with a launcher every time, any tips?
The most unfair strategy, and pretty common too! You have no choice to get rid of them early to mid game, if somehow they survive and want to jump in to launch you, use a feather if you're a good aim or when there are more than 2 players still alive, otherwise web them before they launch you try to make them fall as soon as possible afterwards. You can also use the blaze rod to go invis and eliminate them first.
Any tips for the current map?
This is the best map in the game so far, a lot of space for new tactics and more fluent gameplay!
- Contains 10 chests that you should get to as soon as the match starts:
- Perfect for 3rdP view: With all the free space, its much easier to play with 3rd Person View! You'll be almost immune to sneak attacks.Check out my macro for quick switching.
- Say goodbye to campers:There's just one thing for you to take care of:
- Say hello to new tactics!:You can come up with tactics on your own, but i found it very effective to create holes on the ice part, which can help people slip to their death:
Known game bugs:
Thanks for reading my post! I would like to thank Zee and Fridge for maintaining the game, the people who created the maps and the people who gave me experience :
And thanks to Ebel(now Empy) for the lovely boosts(We need more plz).
Edited by UniversAll, 28 April 2018 - 07:26 PM.