Photo

Improving Server Performance - How You Can Help.

76 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

Ebel

Ebel

EbookDevil

• Administrator
  • 1,942 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:Blue

POPULAR

We have recently put a lot of effort into improving the server performance. We tend to measure this by TPS. (ticks per second). 20 TPS is the maximum.

When we look at our TPS, we noticed Tile Entities often reduce our TPS. At any given time some 40000 tile entities are loaded. This sometimes increases to 60 000 or more. When this many are loaded, we notice a drop in our tps.

So what are these Tile Entities? They are blocks that contain extra data. Because of this , they are more expensive on memory. Tile entities not only decrease server tick rate, but also your client-side FPS. You will notice that you get lower FPS in shops because of the chests and signs, which are tile entities, and also the item frames which are normal entities.

Which blocks are Tile entities? Chests, Signs, banners, beacons, brewing stands, commandblocks, comparators, dispensers, droppers, enchanting tables, enderchests, ender portals, pots, furnaces, hoppers, light detectors, spawners, noteblocks, extended pistons ,skulls.

On our server , the top 5 loaded Tile entities are always : chests, trapped chests, signs, beacons and furnaces.

When we track these and go see which spots have a lot of chests/signs, they are often storage rooms with sometimes 1000 - 2000 chests. When we look in these chests, many of them are empty.

Although we will not enforce any rules on this, we would be very happy, if everyone could go through their factions and remove any empty chests you don’t use. It’s not just chests of course...signs, beacons...it all adds up to the total. The more tile entities are loaded, the slower the server is. We've seen places using 10000 furnaces as ‘floor decoration’ This seems somewhat excessive and affects everyone on the server.

We’ve seen people using an awful lot of signs for their darkrooms and mob spawner water logic. You could easily use opened fences instead. They are not tile entities unlike signs.

Although not technically tile entities, item frames are closely related as entities. You can help by removing empty/unused item frames, also in shops if you have room to place the actual block instead of the block inside an item frame.

Don’t be an observer, you too can help with improving the server performance.

• TheBaron12, TalkyAttorney, Krawlspace and 63 others like this

7643a15ee6.png

Crypticallity

Crypticallity

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 810 posts

Aye I've been saying this for months, about time it's been brought to the entire servers attention, thanks Ebel.:D

cNJs1ML.jpg

b2412

b2412

Enderdragon Slayer

• Server Donator
  • 1,166 posts

I'm actually gonna check my various storage areas and double make sure I don't have excessive empty chests. I know when I was going through the lag at my shop before the update, I got rid of empty chests because I was told they cause lag by Flox I believe.

"The life of an arrow is fleeting, built with nothing but direction and intent" -- Varus (League of Legends)

NEW MEGAMART COMING SOON!

In Memoriam of Tater2Sacks, Lodan, and BIGPAWS. Gone too soon, but not forgotten.

kashaf

kashaf

Enderdragon Slayer

• Server Donator
  • 1,204 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:blue

im gonna check on all chests . and reduce signs as much as i can a sug pls use ladder instead of water elevator thnx :D

• SauronDark likes this

wPTTpI3.gif
Thnx to RHYE for this amazing Signature
Avalanche is recruiting loyal members Click Here

yangmangeek

yangmangeek

Wealthy Merchant

• 413 posts
Very good to know. Are animated blocks such as the sea lantern included? Maybe we can have a list of what blocks to be frugal with for those that want to keep that hamster, I mean tick, rate up 8D

Edit: if there is anymore in addition to what you listed ;)

Edited by yangmangeek, 07 November 2015 - 02:16 AM.

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness *throws up cookies*
Spoiler

b2412

b2412

Enderdragon Slayer

• Server Donator
  • 1,166 posts

Very good to know. Are animated blocks such as the sea lantern included? Maybe we can have a list of what blocks to be frugal with for those that want to keep that hamster, I mean tick, rate up 8D

Edit: if there is anymore in addition to what you listed ;)

I believe those are passive animations that are rendered by your client and have nothing to do with server tick, at least with sea lanterns anyways. 

Enchantment tables are containers, and therefore are tile entities, so that does impact server performance. Any block that has some sort of interactive input with it, or is a container of any sort (furnaces, enchant tables, chests, crafting tables, etc) are generally tile entities, if I recall correctly. 

"The life of an arrow is fleeting, built with nothing but direction and intent" -- Varus (League of Legends)

NEW MEGAMART COMING SOON!

In Memoriam of Tater2Sacks, Lodan, and BIGPAWS. Gone too soon, but not forgotten.

josh2597

josh2597

Wealthy Merchant

• Server Donator
  • 425 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:black

while i am venturing the wild. i always see some locked chest signs/shop signs that is in the wild. and most of them are empty(how do i know? i always bring comparator to check the chest if they have items or not.). and i still dont know why shop signs is not popping up or no expiry date.

• DRAGONBITE, _¢Łø¢Қω£ŔҚ_ and Nixxo like this
ev0F1vq.png
==Thanks to sir kyrozan for d wunderful sig :D==

IGN: Josh_2597

Alt: Josh2597

Build4-[BaconEmpire]

Krawlspace

Krawlspace

Wealthy Merchant

• Assistant
  • 362 posts

So I wonder if a passive war might be waged along the lines of what josh mentions above. While locked shop and personal chests are to be found in the wild, it's been my experience that much more often there are furnaces and open chests (either empty or containing a dozen maps, rotten flesh, and a stone pick). I have always thought to leave these for the wandering noob to collect and use, but if it helps even in the least to remove them in our collective wanderings of abandoned facs then why not?

8642840120_9ce7378588.jpg

Sjouwer

Sjouwer

A Piece of Strange

• Administrator
  • 3,313 posts

If you see any old shops in the wilderness just make a post on the forums.

I gladly remove them.

• DRAGONBITE, Shilla, Bad7Leroy4Brown and 3 others like this

WTaEM67.png

BasZz2119

BasZz2119

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 556 posts

I did not know this about chests ..

I do would like to tell you guys that, whilst I run through empty wilderness, I take all (empty) chests I find and take signs.. I also remove flowing water blocks ^,^ ... 

Now that this info is presented I will make sure no info holding block will remain :P  

• ThatBandGeek likes this

BasZz2119

BasZz2119

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 556 posts

If you see any old shops in the wilderness just let me know or make a post on the forums.

I gladly remove them.

I always find many, many, many shops around.   Is it ok if I just start a thread with Imgur links to the locations without additional information? 

It will make it a lot easier for me instead of uploaded, give data on how many chests Etc etc. just;

<link> (to photo with coordinates)
<exact/guessed amount of shops in the area> 

Edited by BasZz2119, 07 November 2015 - 09:15 PM.

Sjouwer

Sjouwer

A Piece of Strange

• Administrator
  • 3,313 posts

I always find many, many, many shops around.   Is it ok if I just start a thread with Imgur links to the locations without additional information? 

It will make it a lot easier for me instead of uploaded, give data on how many chests Etc etc. just;

<link> (to photo with coordinates)
<exact/guessed amount of shops in the area> 

Yeah just make one post that you can keep updating, coords are good enough, I'll check the rest out myself

This is only for wilderness lockets though.

I may even make a new topic for it myself, I'll look into it.

WTaEM67.png

Krawlspace

Krawlspace

Wealthy Merchant

• Assistant
  • 362 posts

...and thus is the origin of the TE Wilderness Hit Squad.

• yangmangeek, ZimLim1222, chicken leg and 1 other like this

8642840120_9ce7378588.jpg

yangmangeek

yangmangeek

Wealthy Merchant

• 413 posts

...and thus is the origin of the TE Wilderness Hit Squad.

Dang... this would have made a fun easter egg hunt for evips 8D

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness *throws up cookies*
Spoiler

marama

marama

MVP

• Server Donator
  • 5,156 posts

i usually just report them in the lockette removal thread

Kyzeragon

Kyzeragon

Islands in the stream

• Administrator
  • 3,513 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:Green

Giving this a bump, I've been looking around for lag sources again lately and found quite a few storage rooms or shops with hundreds of empty chests and item frames, most often on Build4. Please don't spam put chests just because you can, leaving entire rows of storage empty. Item frames that label what are inside chests are fine, but if it's a block that can be placed, it's much preferred if you just place the block next to the chest instead of putting an item frame, if you have room.

• ZimLim1222 and s0s0 like this

53bba504ff.gif

My mods - 1.7.2 / 1.7.10 / 1.8 / 1.10.2 / 1.11.2

ChannelFilter | MobCounter | AutoCraft | HorseInfo | ItemSorter

OMGitscarl

OMGitscarl

Sassy Bitch

• Server Donator
  • 2,269 posts

Kyzer 

Do Noteblocks come under tile entities? 

zx2gvFb.png

In society those who dont have many abilities tend to complain more

Kyzeragon

Kyzeragon

Islands in the stream

• Administrator
  • 3,513 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:Green

There's a link in the first post -.-

53bba504ff.gif

My mods - 1.7.2 / 1.7.10 / 1.8 / 1.10.2 / 1.11.2

ChannelFilter | MobCounter | AutoCraft | HorseInfo | ItemSorter

erin21

erin21

Wealthy Merchant

• Banned
  • 404 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:red,blue,brown

i think to stop making the world mess removed some disband faction my point is some faction make some house and some farm and when they disband it still there.

i want to removed automaticly the house and other build etc. of the disband faction

to stop mess the world

i hope that helps.

B9fFJG2.gif
                                         Erin21 Enchantedgarden thanks to vR

BoomTheDonut

BoomTheDonut

Donut Hole Eater

• Server Donator
  • 1,152 posts

i think to stop making the world mess removed some disband faction my point is some faction make some house and some farm and when they disband it still there.

i want to removed automaticly the house and other build etc. of the disband faction
to stop mess the world

i hope that helps.

the existance of these houses doesnt cause lag.

cQvTWoW.png?1

R.I.P tater2sacks, you will be missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users