Welp, some of you have wondered how I count mobs so fast... no, I don't have amazing counting skills, but I do have a handy-but-not-really-or-is-it-actually?- mod that does the counting for me Kyzderp did some derpveloping!
If you'd like to ignore the picture-heavy salesman pitch, feel free to skip this spoiler
So maybe you have an animal farm like this, ignoring the pig butts sticking out of course, or maybe a chicken farm like this worthy of the title Animal Abuse Machine. That sure looks like a lot of pigs and chickens... "Hold still while I count you dammit!" You don't want Kyzer banning you for having 17 chickens, but it's awfully difficult to count exactly how many animals you have.
Well have no fear, because Shakespeare is here! Wait... wrong one, I think. *Drum roll* Mob Counter is here! Now you'll know when you have too many animals!
Okay, I admit that was terrible. Just ignore that.
So what this mod does is display the mob counts of select passive and hostile mobs in a specified radius. Not a mob radar (checked with Flak, I imagined he rolled his eyes at me many times), so allowed on the server of course
- Hidden view -- also runs no calculations at all
- Compact view -- for viewing the 4 most common livestock animals
- Expanded view -- all "own-able" mobs aside from golems
When mob counts for a specific mob is over 16 (the server limit), the text will be highlighted in red.
- Hidden view -- same as above
- Compact view -- mobs that can spawn from spawner crates, along with total count
- Expanded view -- all 8 hostiles that are usually farmed in exp farms
The total count is the sum of the counts for all 8 that are displayed in the mod. This means that mobs such as endermen and silverfish are not included. The total count is highlighted in red when it goes to 150+. Getting to level 30 takes 165 normal (no armor) mobs, so 150 is a good number for a warning. A noteblock sound (note.bass) will also play every few seconds to warn you that you've spawned too many mobs in a grinder. This sound can be changed with /counter sound <sound name>. Mob counter can also be configured to notify other players through PM or in faction chat of the hostile limit -- useful for idling at a spawner with an alt account. All the notification does is say how many mobs are detected by the mob counter.
(The above screenshot has not been updated to reflect the increase in highlighting threshold from 64 to 150)
Of course, you can have both of them on at the same time, though it gets kinda crowded on a minimized window.
And since they are toggled separately, there are what, 9 combinations? Something like that. I hate combinatorics.
The default keys for toggling amongst the 3 states for passives and hostiles are P and O, respectively. Kinda arbitrary keys that are further from the other keys that I assume more people bind their macros to. These can be changed easily by going to Options > Controls and scrolling down to
The radius goes from 0 to 16, which I believe is what the usual radius is for hearing mob sounds(?). Anyway, the radii for passives and hostiles are separate, meaning both can be adjusted individually. To adjust the radius, hold down the up or down arrow key and press the respective toggle key (P for passives, O for hostiles). So if I wanted to decrease the radius for hostile mob count, I would hold down the down arrow key and press the O key. Obviously it doesn't quite work if you press the O before the arrow keys, because the O key toggles the view... kinda an annoyance there. But remember -- it's a feature, not a bug!
/counter help - Displays an in-game help message.
/counter msg - Displays the players that you're currently PM'ing with hostile mob notifications.
/counter msg clear - Clears the list of players to PM with hostile mob notificiations.
/counter msg <player[,player2]> - Specifies the list of players to PM with hostile mob notifications, separated by commas. Ex: /counter msg Kyzderp,Kyzherp
/counter fac <on|off> - Turns the faction hostile mob notification on or off.
/counter sound <sound> - Specifies the sound file to play. It can be anything from sounds.json, or if you don't want a sound to play, just type in some random invalid name.
Things to note:
- The radius is a cuboid radius, not a spherical radius. Imagine a 32x32x32 cube centered on your player. That's the region that will be checked at a 16 radius.
- The mob is client-side, and therefore it counts only what YOU see. If there is a player disguised as a pig, they will be included in the pig count. If you kill a zombie, the count only goes down after it plays its dying animation and the body disappears.
- Horses, donkeys, and mules are all counted as Horses. Ocelots and tamed cats are both counted as Ocelots. Wolves and tamed dogs are both counted as Wolves.
- CaveSpiders and Spiders counts do not overlap. Pigmen and Zombie counts do not overlap.
Download & Installation:
This is a Litemod, so it requires... guess what? LiteLoader! If you have AMD's or Flox's modpacks, LiteLoader is already included. If not, go download and install LiteLoader. Once you have that, all you have to do is download the .litemod file below and toss it in the "mods" folder under ".minecraft". The ".minecraft" folder is easily found by clicking Options > Resource Packs > Open resource pack folder in game and then going up one level. Alternatively, you can enter %appdata% in the Start Menu and find it there. I know nothing about Macs and whether they work the same for the second method, so... sorry, eh? Hi Retri!
[v1.4.0] MediaFire (easier)
- Increased hostile mob highlight threshold from 64 to 150
- If the hostile display is on and hostile mobs reach 150+ count, the "note.bass" sound will be played every few seconds as an alert. Currently has no on/off configuration yet. This is more for me since I tend to forget to check my xp farming and spawn too many.
- Both passive and hostile displays are now off on startup (due to Ebel's complaints )
- Bugfix: Hostile alert sound now plays anytime when ingame, not only when there's no other screen. Ex: sound will now play when textbox is open.
- Added ability to notify specified players of passing the hostile limit through PM.
- Added ability to notify faction of passing the hostile limit through faction chat.
- Added ability to configure the hostile notification sound.
- Bugfix: Mooshroom count no longer includes cows. Mooshrooms and cows are considered separate in terms of server mob limits (can have up to 16 of each); however, horses, donkeys, and mules are the same (can only have 16 combined).
- Added for 1.7.10
- Updated to 1.8, will no longer be updating for 1.7.
- Removed Ocelots from passive animal count and replaced it with Rabbits instead.
- Added Guardians.
- Updated for 1.10.2, no new mobs added.
- Removed a very stupid thing I did when building the project.
- Updated for 1.11.2, no new mobs added.
Soooo yeah that's pretty much it. Here, you get a shrubbery for sitting through my wall of text.
Any suggestions would be nice, or maybe someone could give me a more useful idea on what to derp around with O_o