Useful inventory shortcut

55 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

Lex1k0n

Lex1k0n

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 594 posts

So some of you probably already know about this but I didn't so i'm taking a moment 

to share this trick for moving a lot of the same item from your inventory to a chest
or the other way around plus a few more

Moving many "like" items
Scenario:
Suppose you have an empty inventory and a chest full of pumpkins which you want to sell.
Rather than move one stack at a time into your inventory do this.  Open the double chest, 
and pick up an item such as a stack o pumpkins and hold it in your hand (so that it's moving with your cursor), then hold shift and double click another
stack of pumpkins from the chest (with the stack in hand).  All the pumpkins which will fit will
now jump to your inventory. This also works in reverse to move items from your inventory to a chest.

The item you hold in your cursor doesn't matter, the item you double click will determine which
item gets moved from one location to the other.

So if you have both wood and sand in your inventory and you double click the sand, only the sand will
jump into the chest.

Like I said many of you probably already knew this but several people I talked to did not
and this is a very useful inventory mechanic. The one thing i'll add is that sometimes it's a bit
buggy and the items will jump back.

Evenly spread a stacked object over several slots 

Start by holding the stacked item in your hand, then hold left click while moving the cursor over the slots you wish to divide the stack over.  The stack should evenly distribute over all the slots you touched i.e. 18 redstone dust scrolled over 9 empty slots will fill each slot with 2 redstone dust.  This is pretty useful if you're crafting something like redstone (or similar) blocks.

Add one item evenly to several slots using a stacked object

Start by holding the stacked item in your hand, then hold right click while moving the cursor over the slots you wish add the item to.  The stack should add 1 item to each slot you touched, provided that the slot is either empty or currently has the same item already in it. Note: Backing over the same slot twice will not add a another of the item.

Drop an entire stack from the hot bar at once
Use your mouse's scroll-wheel or keyboard #s 1-9 to select the stack you wish to drop. Then hold Ctrl and press Q.  The entire stack should then drop instantly.

Quickly move an item from your inventory to a desired hotbar slot
Start by opening up your inventory. Use your cursor to hover over the item you wish to move into your hotbar and press the # of the desired slot (1-9). The item will then instantly jump to that slot EVEN if the slot is already occupied, in which case the items will simply switch places.  This saves on a lot of tedious clicking especially if you're making several changes at once. Note: This also works if both items are already within the hotbar.

A few more commonly known inventory shortcuts
Splitting a stack in half with one click
Hover over the stack with your cursor and right-click. Half the stack will instantly jump to your hand. Note: If the stack can't be split evenly, half the stack + 1 will jump to your hand

Move item from hotbar to inventory  + inventory/hotbar to chests
Open your inventory and hover over the item you wish to move. Hold shift and left or right click. If the item is in the hotbar it will to the next available inventory slot, if the item is in the inventory it will move to the next available slot in the hotbar. IF there is no available slot for the item to move into, nothing will happen.  This also works with chests. Items that are shift clicked from your inventory/hotbar will jump to an available spot in your chest and vice-versa.

Instantly consolidate items into a stack
Open your inventory or the desired chest then use your cursor to hover over the desired (stackable) item and double left-click.  Your hand will instantly be filled with all the available item from the source location UP TO a full stack.  This is useful in situations where your inventory or chest is full of many partial stacks and you need to consolidate space. This also works while crafting and can save clicks in situations where you have spare material on your crafting table.

Move an item or stack from hotbar to crafting table
Start by opening up your crafting table.  Use your cursor to hover over the destination slot within the crafting table then press the # (1-9) desired hotbar item.  The item or stack from the hotbar will instantly move to the slot your cursor is hovering over.  I find this useful for things like crafting redstone blocks where I have 9 stacks of dust which need to be moved.

Instant-ish crafting
Start by opening up your crafting table and creating the desired recipe within it.  Rather than simply left clicking the tables output on the right, hold shift and left-click the output box.  This will cause you to craft as many of the new item as possible based on the ingredients you placed within the table.  The items will also automatically be placed in your hotbar or inventory.  This is for situations where you are crafting many of the same item and is primarily useful for recipes whose ingredients are stackable.  Example: You place a stack of 64 bones within a crafting table, the output on the right now reads 3 bonemeal. Shift-clicking the bonemeal will now instantly place 3 stacks of bonemeal if your inventory/hotbar and the crafting table will now be empty.

Hope you enjoyed that :D

-Lex

-edited (thanks to Kaos for the fix and mgis90 for the correction and addition of crtl+q) Updated 10/2/14

• foxontherails, l3xm4rk, Tenryuchi and 31 others like this

5fhCyPW.gif

KAOSxGaming

KAOSxGaming

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 954 posts

So some of you probably already know about this but I didn't so i'm taking a moment 

to share this trick for moving a lot of the same item from your inventory to a chest
or the other way around.

Scenario:
Suppose you have an empty inventory and a chest full of pumpkins which you want to sell.
Rather than move one stack at a time into your inventory do this.  Open the double chest, 
and pick up an item such as a stack o pumpkins and hold it in your hand (so that it's moving with your cursor), then hold shift and double click another
stack of pumpkins from the chest (with the stack in hand).  All the pumpkins which will fit will
now jump to your inventory. This also works in reverse to move items from your inventory to a chest.

The item you hold in your cursor doesn't matter, the item you double click will deturmine which

So if you have both wood and sand in your inventory and you double click the sand, only the sand will
jump into the chest.

Like I said many of you probably already knew this but several people I talked to did not
and this is a very useful inventory mechanic. The one thing i'll add is that sometimes it's a bit

-LexSo some of you probably already know about this but I didn't so i'm taking a moment 
or the other way around.

Scenario:

The item you hold in your cursor doesn't matter, the item you double click will deturmine which

jump into the chest.

-Lex

lol i think you repeated yourself there.

• etiennestar123 and b166er like this
Posted Image

Lionex

Lionex

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 512 posts

lol i think you repeated yourself there.

At least he took the time to post a good tip.

Thanks lex! 

LIONex_zps72c08dc1.png

Thank you to VeWolf for this awesome sig!

Flox

Flox

Cat toucher

• Administrator
  • 3,888 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:-

Dude - brilliant. I did not know this.

cecil1829

cecil1829

Ecce Mono

• Server Donator
  • 1,641 posts
removed

Edited by George Bush, 02 August 2013 - 11:46 PM.

cecil1829

cecil1829

Ecce Mono

• Server Donator
  • 1,641 posts
removed

Edited by George Bush, 02 August 2013 - 11:46 PM.

l3xm4rk

l3xm4rk

Wealthy Merchant

• Server Donator
  • 291 posts

I didn't know this either. All this time I've been moving stacks one at a time like an animal!

• V_E_N and DenisRo like this
:D

_FGuard_

_FGuard_

Cobble Builder

• Members
  • 27 posts

Appreciated...Thank You! :D

8aZOYuY.gif

Spartan117(Jun_A226)

Spartan117(Jun_A226)

Noble 3

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Btw this also works with armor. You could also just simply right click with the armor in your hand and it will be put on too.

• SpeedSeven likes this

Lex1k0n

Lex1k0n

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 594 posts

Well since some of you enjoyed that i'll add a couple more

To evenly spread a stackable object over several slots; Start by holding the stacked item in your hand, then hold left click while moving the cursor over the slots you wish to divide the stack over.  The stack should evenly distribute over all the slots you touched i.e. 18 redstone dust scrolled over 9 empty slots will fill each slot with 2 redstone dust.  This is pretty useful if you're crafting something like redstone (or similar) blocks.

If you want to fill a number of slots but you only wish to put one item in each slot you do the same procedure as above except you right click while scrolling over the empty slots.

*edit-updated with mgis90's corrections and added to original post :D

• l3xm4rk likes this

5fhCyPW.gif

Reaper024

Reaper024

✘ Beta Twin ✘

• 1,173 posts
  • What is your favorite color?:Silvyr ;)

Btw this also works with armor. You could also just simply right click with the armor in your hand and it will be put on too.

thats always happend, though i think it has always been shift click, not sure about right click however

or the other way around.

Scenario:

jump into the chest.

-Lex

-edited (thanks for pointing that out kaos )

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh * clamps hand over mouth* now EVERYBODY will know

i too figured this out rather early on , i was just a tad bit  less generous with this information >.>

ufwrUcQ.gif

Spoiler

Lord Polydeukis

Lord Polydeukis

Mad Scientist

• Server Donator
  • 1,606 posts

tyvm :)

G9MMzMy.gif

simbaorka101

simbaorka101

Not Getting started

• Server Donator
  • 1,491 posts
I also didnt know this,awesome :D

amwXvDO.png

Willynator_

Willynator_

Bean Bag Chair

• Server Donator
  • 2,189 posts
also when crafting shift clicking something crafts the maximum amount of stuffs
  • DeadZools likes this
Posted Image

Lindsey

Lindsey

Cobble Builder

• Members
  • 44 posts

I did not know this! ty for telling! :P

RamonNL

RamonNL

(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

• 1,392 posts

pinned this since its very usefull

tJ56SYU.png

catsnight

catsnight

Pumpkin Farmer

• Members
  • 85 posts
Knew that from 1.5.2

noobwannabe16

noobwannabe16

Diamond Monger

• Server Donator
  • 979 posts

I know that but didn't know how i did it.

SavMike

SavMike

Noobie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Thanks good Info!!!

Romeo4132

Romeo4132

Noobie

• Members
  • 4 posts

oDERxZ8.gif